Sunday, November 8, 2009

Read-it-First: The Pursuit of Other Interests


Last week, St. Martin's Read-it-First program allowed us to preview The Pursuit of Other Interests, by Jim Kokoris. The book jacket describes this book as a reluctant journey of self-discovery by the main character, Charlie Baker, a neurotic workaholic who loses his job.

The preview starts off with a description of Charlie's morning activities. I did not find this interesting – in fact, it left a highly negative impression of Charlie that I could not shake throughout the seventeen pages of the preview. I found the writing to be a bit bland – there were moments where Charlie's stress and anxiety were depicted; however, they did not evoke a response from me. Could this lack of response be blamed on my initial impression of Charlie? Yes, but I have enjoyed other books where I did not like the main character.

The road to self-discovery had yet to be traveled in the preview. The journey may make the book more enjoyable and be worth taking; however, I will not be taking it with Charlie.

Looking forward to the upcoming preview!

3 comments:

  1. This doesn't sound like your kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not really. I am still so far behind in my reading - two books to finish & review, one finished and needs review and a third to read & review. These are my current "commitments".

    Work revs up when you least expect it - I have vacation coming up soon so ... I hope to completely catch up and pull ahead (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good lesson for authors to make sure they set the stage with the character before the story takes off!

    ReplyDelete