Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Read-it-Frist: There Goes the Bride


Last week, St. Martin's Read-it-First program allowed us to preview There Goes the Bride, the twentieth installment in the Agatha Raisin series, by M.C. Beaton. Agatha has gone from being an amateur to a professional detective in this series. In this installment, Agatha is dreading the upcoming marriage of her ex-husband, James Lacey. Try as she might to move on, she can't seem to stay out of her ex-husband's life. When James' fiance is murdered moments before the wedding, Agatha becomes the prime suspect. Will she be cleared? I have no doubt.

The preview had some incidents that I found amusing and some that I found painful (for the lovelorn Agatha). The writing was fine. The pages provided for this cozy mystery brought us to the day before the wedding. No mysteries or puzzles could be found. I love a good mystery; however, I don't believe that I will be reading anymore of this story. Unfortunately, the book, characters and I just did not click. I didn't like Agatha.

Looking forward to this week's preview!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest review, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hate it when a book I'm looking forward to disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Beaton's other series with Hamish MacBeth, but have never particularly cared for Agatha. I'm going to give her another try early next year, because sometimes I find if I read something after several years, it get a different take on it.

    ReplyDelete