Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Read-it-First: Ladies of the Lake


Several weeks ago, St. Martin's Read-it-First program allowed us to preview Ladies of the Lake, by Haywood Smith. It is a story about four sisters forced to confront both their past and present relationships with one another. In the preview, we are introduced to the sisters, as children, and get a snapshot of the family dynamic. Two of the sisters are portrayed as natural enemies and are constantly at odds with one another. The preview then jumps to the present - the sisters are now adults and have grown children of their own. Allusions are made that lead me to believe that the aforementioned contentious behavior still exists. Towards the end of the preview, the sisters' grandmother dies. Is this the catalyst to reunite the sisters and send them on their journey to confront the past? I think so.

The preview pages are well written. Ms. Haywood was able to capture my interest from the start. How? There is a promise made to reveal some family secrets to the reader. I want to know what those secrets are. The sisters have quickly become part of my world due to Ms. Haywood's character development. I like them – even the ones that are cantankerous. I have a clear sense of who they are.

Several more previews to review!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this one...it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete