Sunday, October 25, 2009

Read-it-First: Gorgeous East


St. Martin's Read-it-First program allowed recently us to preview Gorgeous East, by Robert Girardi. A novel about the French Foreign Legion. At first I thought this was going to be an interesting read. An older gentleman, a legionnaire, notices a young woman and instantly deduces that she is suicidal. His deduction is correct and he goes to incredible lengths to save her; however, the aftermath of this event is a bit too unrealistic for me – girl sleeps with man. There is not much more to the preview than this.

I didn't find the characters to be interesting or likable. I felt as though things were being rushed and forced. On a positive note, the descriptions were beautifully written and I did enjoy the sprinkling of phrases written in other languages. Unfortunately, this is not a book that I will be picking up.

Looking forward to the next preview!

No comments:

Post a Comment