Thursday, September 24, 2009

Read-it-First: The Brutal telling


Last week, St. Martin's Read-it-First program allowed us to preview The Brutal Telling, the fifth installment in the Chief Inspector Gamache series, written by Louise Penny. The mystery takes place in a small village outside of Montreal – Three Pines. It is a quaint, cozy, little village where everyone knows everyone else. You could almost hear someone shout out your name as you walked into the local bistro. But, at the start of the story, the only thing that you hear are hushed whispers and sighs of relief that the murdered man was unknown. How could this be? And, how did he end up in the bistro? These are just a few pieces of the puzzle to solve.

The preview pages are well written. Ms. Penny does a wonderful job with description. I could picture/feel everything – the glowing embers in the fireplace, the log cabin, the terrifying trek through the dark forest, etc.... The descriptions do not feel heavy handed and I believe that they will add to the enjoyment of the story. There was also enough character development, in the small number of pages that we were given, to give me a sense of the characters. I like several and found them to be refreshing. There is some humor and a sense of closeness. I believe that I will be taking several trips to the small village of Three Pines.

Looking forward to this week's preview!

2 comments:

  1. Cathy, it sounds like you really enjoyed the preview of this book. I, too, enjoy descriptions which make me feel as if I'm in the story.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won this book on Goodreads, but haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete