Sunday, September 6, 2009

Read-it-First: You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In the Morning


Last week, St. Martin's Read-it-First program allowed us to preview You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In the Morning by Celia Rivenbark. This book is a collection of essays about the South and just about anything else that Ms. Rivenbark fancied. The topics range from perfect school attendance to action figure Jesus. I was hooked from the beginning. Was it the topics or the writing? A little of both. The first essay is entitled TB or not TB: Perfect Attendance Nuts Don't Care. As a working parent of three, this essay strongly resonated with me. I cannot count the number of times that my children became sick because some other parent sent their sick child to school. Of course, my kids didn't get sick at the same time – it was one after the other; therefore, I missed work three times more than I should have. My husband and I joking refer to this phenomenon as the army of the 12 monkeys. I found this essay to be quite humorous and had to endure the looks from family as I read (and laughed). Two other essays were presented for the preview. The first of the two is Poseable Jesus Meets Poser Ken. Where would one find a poseable Jesus doll? Walmart, of course. According to Ms. Rivenbark, he will probably be found near the Bratz dolls. And, the second is Let's Go See "Gobbler" Up at the Funeral Home. In this essay, Ms. Rivenbark explores the eccentricities of Southerners and small town living. Ms. Rivenbark did not fail in either of these essay. They were both enjoyable and funny.

The writing had a sarcastic bite which I found refreshing. At times, I felt as though I was listening in on someone's private thoughts. You know, the things that are not meant to be said out load – the things you wish you could say. Overall, I found the preview to be both interesting and entertaining. This is a book I would definitely pick up.

Looking forward to the next preview!

6 comments:

  1. This one sounds unique. I do enjoy sarcasm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do sound like excellent essays. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an award for you at my blog!

    http://missysbooknook.blogspot.com/2009/09/who-loves-you-baby-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this just sounds FANTASTIC!!!! I'm going to have to look for it. And the title is so funny too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great...I'd given up on Read-it-First because I couldn't keep up. Thanks for saving me. I'll be on the lookout for this one.

    ReplyDelete