Sunday, August 9, 2009

Read-it-First: A Crack in the Lens


Last week, the St. Martin's Read-it-First selection was A Crack in the Lens, the fourth book in the series, Holmes on the Range, by Steve Hockensmith. The Amlingmeyer brothers – Otto and Gustav - pay homage to the great Sherlock Holmes. Believing that they themselves are detectives of Holmes' caliber, they set off on yet another case – the murder of Gustav's fiance. Holmes and Watson, they are not; however, one does see elements from that detective team. While Gustav, “Old Red”, takes the lead detective role, Otto, “Big Red”, serves as the Watson of the duo. Otto's narration of the story is both sarcastic and witty. The story is fast paced and laced with an amusing undertone. At times, I found myself quietly laughing out loud and at other times tinged with sadness for Gustav. I anticipated the arrival of each daily installment.

I was intrigued by this excerpt and will be looking into the series – I need to start from the beginning.

Looking forward to next week's preview!

4 comments:

  1. Cathy, I really enjoy your blog and nominated it for a BBAW award. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suko: Thanks so much! I am glad that you enjoy the blog. I filled out a partial nomination form - just could not come up with a blog for all categories - it included yours and several other blogs I follow - just not sure of the categories - should have printed it before submitting - oh well - good luck to you also!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Cathy! There are so many categories. I didn't fill out the entire form, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a book makes you laugh like that -!

    ReplyDelete