Friday, June 5, 2009

Read-it-First: Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs


This week I received and read approximately twenty three pages for the current St. Martin's Read-it-First selection, Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs by Michael J. Collins, M.D.. A memoir of the author's journey from construction worker to medical student.

Although the topic may be of interest to some people, it did not grab my attention. There are too many people in this world who have altered their life's course, going from one career to another, and I did not read anything compelling in the excerpts provided that would convince me to buy this book. I actually found it a chore to read. This may have to do with the first day's reading. There were seventeen two to three line paragraphs that stated two plus two doesn't always equal four along with a variation of the comment: It didn't for me, and I guess that's a good thing. One set was more than enough. I found this to be annoying and it certainly determined whether or not I wanted to read anymore.

Looking forward to next week's preview!

No comments:

Post a Comment