Saturday, June 20, 2009

Read-it-First: Beverly Hills Adjacent


This week, the St. Martin's Read-it-First selection was Beverly Hills Adjacent. A debut novel by Jennifer Steinhauer and Jessica Hendra. The story is intended to be a satirical view of the entertainment industry in L.A.; however, I did not find any satire in the sixteen pages that I received. The story starts with a network party. Real actors/writers names are thrown in, no doubt for realism, but it just feels like name-dropping and does not add any reality to the story. The main characters are Mitch Gold and June Dietz, a husband and wife who really just face the normal struggles of married life. Although not in the pages I received but alluded to in the blurb, there will be the affair. Do I care? I think not. The characters are not interesting. Maybe I am a bit biased as I do not find the life and struggles of actors to be any more important/interesting than the average Joe. They have been elevated to some state of superiority that I do not feel is warranted. Stepping off the soap box now.

Unfortunately, I do not want to read anymore of this book and will not be purchasing it.

Looking forward to next week's preview!

1 comment:

  1. So I know not to get that book *laughing* --

    I find some books like this can be hard to read because of the things you brought up-underdeveloped characters and a plot and characters that depend on situations rather than anything deeper - and like you, the name dropping wouldn't impress me one speck!

    ReplyDelete