Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Angel's Game


In The Angel's Game, I was transported to Barcelona, albeit the Barcelona of the 1920s. Through Mr. Zafon's descriptive prose, Barcelona was brought to life. I got a chill reading about the Pueblo Nuevo Cemetery with its 'forest of angels and crosses' and the scenes that took place within its walls. I could hear footsteps echoing in the alleyways, smell the putrid stench of decay, feel the neglect of buildings abandoned long ago, and see 'the whole of Barcelona stretched out …' (pg 50) before me. Mr. Zafon has also created several memorable characters: David Martin, the tortured narrator; Andreas Corelli, angel or demon; Isabella, a kind and generous soul; etc.... These characters stayed with me long after I finished reading. They seemed to inhabit my dreams.

Mr. Zafon's novel centers around a young writer who unwittingly makes a pact with the devil. Yes, a Faustian bargain; however, there is more to the novel, namely, there is an underlying mystery that will have you guessing/thinking throughout the novel. The story moves quickly. I found myself repeatedly saying I have time for just one more chapter. I read the book in three days – because life interrupted and I needed sleep. It is a book that you will not want to put down.

People have commented that this book is one in a series and a prequel to The Shadow of the Wind. I have yet to read that book and did not find myself at a disadvantage. I believe that this book stands on its own quite well and highly recommend to those that have read previous works of Zafon or those who like mystery/thrillers.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy! I'm so glad you were able to review this book and liked it! I've been waiting to read it myself ever since I heard it was coming out. Since I liked The Shadow of the Wind I was hoping I wouldn't be disappointed with Zafon's newest offering! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete